During the time that I didn’t have a smart TV, I thought my only option was to watch my online content on my smartphone, which was far from convenient.
With my Chromecast device, I can cast anything that I would typically watch on my phone onto my TV screen. Now, I can get comfortable and enjoy the bigger picture while I watch my favorite Netflix shows.
If you wish to use Chromecast on your Samsung TV that doesn’t have Chromecast built-in, you will need to purchase and install a Chromecast device. If your TV has Chromecast built-in, all you need to do is enable the feature and connect with the Smart Things app. The setup will require a good internet connection and a smartphone or tablet.
In rare cases, a professional installation is needed. However, with the steps and tips I’ll outline below, you should be able to start casting on your own in no time.
Samsung TV Chromecast Setup: What You Will Need
If you want to use Chromecast on your Samsung TV, there are a few things you will need to make sure that you have before you get started.
- A Chromecast Device: If your TV doesn’t have Chromecast built-in, you’ll need to purchase a Chromecast device that you can plug into your TV. You can choose between a regular Chromecast device or a Chromecast with Google TV device.
- A Smartphone or Tablet: The setup will require a smartphone or tablet that you can connect to your network and install apps.
- A WiFi Connection: An unstable connection can cause problems during the setup and use of the device. So, it’s crucial that you have a stable connection.
How to Setup Chromecast on Samsung TV
Once you’ve acquired all the necessary items, you’ll be ready to begin setting up your device. Following the steps below will provide a quick and easy setup experience.
1. Plug in The Chromecast
When you purchase your Chromecast device, it will come with all the cords needed to power and connect your device to the TV.
If you need help connecting your Chromecast device to your TV, follow the steps below:
- Locate the power cord and power adapter.
- Connect the USB end of the cord to the power adapter.
- Connect the opposite end of the power cord to your Chromecast device.
- Plug the power adapter into the wall. You can power your Chromecast device without needing to plug it into the wall by plugging the power cord into the USB port on your TV.
- Connect the HDMI cord to the HDMI port on your TV.
- Use your TV remote or the buttons on your TV to change the input setting to the corresponding HDMI port.
Keep in mind that connecting the HDMI cord will not power your Chromecast. Instead, you will have to plug the USB into the wall with an adapter or directly into the USB port on your TV for the device to receive power.
If you have a port on your TV labeled HDMI-ARC, you can connect your Chromecast device to this port to be able to power the TV on or off and control the volume with your Chromecast remote. If the device is connected through this port, you will not need to perform any additional programming for these features to work.
2. Pair Your Remote
If you have a Chromecast with Google TV device, your next step will be to pair your remote. This step is not generally required for regular Chromecast devices.
To pair your remote:
- Place the two AAA batteries in the remote.
- Press and hold the Home and Back Arrow buttons until the light on the remote flashes.
- Select your language.
Once you’ve completed these steps, your remote will be paired and ready to use.
You will need to reboot your Chromecast device if your remote does not pair. Your device will likely play a specific tone that indicates that it needs to be rebooted.
You can reboot your Chromecast device by unplugging it for 3 seconds, then plugging it back in. Rebooting the device should reset the error. However, if you are still unable to pair your remote after rebooting, you will need to contact support for assistance.
3. Download The Google Home App
In order to set up your Chromecast device, you will need to install the Google Home App on your smartphone or tablet. If you do not have a Google account, you’ll need to create one to complete the setup.
One the app has installed:
- Make sure your phone or tablet is connected to the same WiFi network.
- Launch the Google Home App from your phone or tablet.
- Login to your Google Account.
- Tap the + icon.
- Tap Set up Device.
- Tap New Devices.
- Select the home and room in which the device will be used. If you have not created a home, you will be prompted to do so at this point.
- Allow location access.
The app will automatically search for your Chromecast device. Once it’s located, you may need to enter your WiFi details.
4. Follow The Prompts on the Screen
Once you’ve connected to your Chromecast device, you will complete the setup by following the prompts on your TV screen.
- Verify that the code on your TV screen matches the code displayed on your phone or tablet. (If you are using a Chromecast with Google TV device, scan the QR code.)
- In the app, select the area where your Chromecast device will be used. If you haven’t set up your Google Home yet, you will need to do so.
- Select the wireless network you will be using with your device.
- Select your favorite streaming services (Netflix, Disney Plus, HBO Max.) and log in to the accounts to set them up for streaming with your Chromecast device.
- Wait for the update to complete.
Once the update completes, you’ll be ready to start streaming content from anywhere.
5. Connect With Chromecast
Once your device is set up, you’ll be ready to connect your favorite streaming accounts and choose the way you prefer to cast. You can cast using the Google Home app, Google Chrome, and Chromecast-enabled apps. I used this method when apps were not working on my Samsung TV.
To stream from the Google Home app:
- Open the Google Home app.
- Tap the + icon in the top corner.
- Select the category of the app you want to link (Videos, Music, etc.).
- Locate the app you wish to link and tap Link. If you do not find the app you want to connect on the list, tap the three dots in the top right corner, then select search.
- Agree to the conditions, then enter your login information for the selected streaming service.
- Go back to your list of apps and open the app you linked.
- Select a video, then tap the cast icon.
Your video will then be displayed on your TV. When you’re ready to stop casting, you’ll need to tap the cast icon again to end the cast.
You can also cast directly from Chromecast-enable apps by following the steps below:
- Ensure that both devices are on the same network.
- Open the compatible app.
- Locate and tap the cast icon.
- Select your Chromecast device.
The cast icon will change colors to let you know that the connection has been successful.
Some websites are Chromecast-enabled, and you can stream directly from them by locating the cast icon and tapping it. If the website you wish to cast from is not a Chromecast-enabled site, you can still cast it by casting the entire tab on your TV.
To cast the entire tab:
- Make sure your device and Chromecast are on the same WiFi network.
- Launch the Google Home app.
- Tap and hold your Chromecast device.
- Tap Cast
- Tap Cast Screen.
You will then be able to cast your entire screen to your TV, allowing you to stream from any website.
Unfortunately, this method will not work with iPhones or other iOS devices. Only Android users will be able to cast an entire tab using Chromecast.
How to Use Built-In Chromecast on Samsung Smart TVs
If you have a Samsung Smart TV, there’s a good chance that your TV has Chromecast built-in. If your TV has a Chromecast built-in, you will have an option to enable this feature in your TV settings.
The simplest way to cast to your Samsung TV is to do so using the Smart Things app. This app should be preinstalled on your Samsung TV, but if not, you will need to add it. Additionally, you’ll need to download the app to your phone or tablet from the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store.
To stream using the Smart Things app, you’ll need to:
- Install and launch the Smart Things app.
- Create your account, then log in.
- Select Add Device.
- Select Scan Nearby
- Choose your TV.
- Enter the pin that displays on your TV in the app on your phone/tablet.
- Select Smart View.
You will then be able to cast content to your TV.
If you run into a problem while setting up your Chromecast, it’s most likely not a severe issue. The tips below will help you resolve common problems that you may run into while setting up your Chromecast device.
1. Check Your Internet Connection
In order for your Chromecast device to work correctly, you will need a strong and reliable internet connection.
So, if your Chromecast isn’t working correctly, check your internet connection. One of the simplest ways to spot a connection issue is by checking the indicator lights on your router.
The first thing you should do is ensure that your phone or tablet that you’re casting from is connected to the same wireless network as the Chromecast device or smart TV you want to cast to.
If there’s an issue with your internet connection:
- Unplug your router from the power outlet.
- Unplug your Chromecast device. (If you’re using a TV with Chromecast built-in, unplug your TV. )
- Plug the router back in and allow it to reboot entirely.
- Plug your Chromecast device or TV back in.
- Ensure that the device is reconnected to the internet.
Once you’ve completed these steps, try streaming with Chromecast to see if the issue was resolved. If you continue to experience connection issues, you may need to contact your provider for additional support.
2. Check that your Chromecast is On
Make sure your Chromecast device is connected correctly and that it is powered on. You’ll need to check the power HDMI cords to verify that they are connected securely.
If all the cords are connected correctly, you may need to reboot your Chromecast device by unplugging it for a few seconds.
If you are using a smart TV with Chromecast built-in, ensure that the Chromecast feature is enabled in your settings. To do this:
- Open the Settings on your TV.
- Select Apps
- Select System Apps
- Select Chromecast Built-in
If you see the option to disable, it means that your Chromecast is enabled. If you see the option to enable Chromecast, you’ll need to select this option to turn Chromecast on.
3. Keep Chromecast Plugged into the Port
To avoid damage to your HDMI port on your TV, or the cord itself, it is best to keep your Chromecast device plugged into the port at all times.
This is because the prongs within the HDMI port and connector on the end of the cord have a tendency to be fragile, and constant plugging and unplugging can cause unnecessary wear and tear that could eventually create a loose connection.
Some older model TVs may not have an HDMI port. If you do not have an HDMI port on your TV, you can still connect a Chromecast device to your TV by using an HDMI-AV adapter. This adapter allows you to convert your HDMI cord into a cord with color-coded tips that are compatible with most older-model TVs.
Once you have a converter, follow the steps below:
- Connect the HDMI cord of your Chromecast device to the HDMI port on the converter.
- Connect the power cord to the appropriate port on the converter.
- Connect the red, yellow, and white prongs to the back of your TV. Be sure to connect each one to the port on your TV with the corresponding color.
- Connect the power cord to a source of power. You’ll likely need to use a USB-compatible wall adapter.
Once everything is connected, power on your TV and Chromecast device to ensure that everything is working properly.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will Chromecast work on any TV?
Chromecast will work with any TV, I used it on my Vizio TV when Smartcast was not working. However, if you have an older model that does not have an HDMI port, you will need to purchase an HDMI-AV converter.
Why can’t I cast to my Samsung Smart TV?
If you cannot cast to your Samsung Smart TV, the Chromecast feature is either disabled or your TV does not have Chromecast built-in. If your TV has Chromecast built-in, you can enable Chromecast in your settings by going to apps>system apps>Chromecast, then locating the option to enable Chromecast.
If you are still unable to cast after this, try restarting your TV and router at the same time. If your TV does not have Chromecast built-in, you’ll need to purchase a Chromecast device and connect it to your TV before you can cast to your TV.
Will Chromecast work without WiFi?
While you need a WiFi connection to set your device up, you can cast to your TV without a WiFi connection. To cast without a WiFi connection, you must enable guest mode in the Google Home app.
With guest mode enabled, you can cast without being connected to the WiFi network by opening a Chromecast-enabled app, tapping the cast icon, and entering the pin that is shown on the TV screen. Guest mode will only stay on for 2 hours at a time, so you will need to enable it before each use.
Chromecast gives you the ability to stream virtually any media on your Samsung TV. If you have a standard model TV or a smart TV that doesn’t have Chromecast built-in, you’ll need to purchase a Chromecast device and install it using the steps outlined in this article. However, if your TV has the feature built-in, you’ll only need to enable the feature and connect with the Smart Things app by Samsung.
If you run into issues, we’ve likely covered the resolution above. However, if you need further assistance, you can contact Chromecast support. If you cannot get your device up and running on your own, consider scheduling a professional installation.